Call us today on 028 9024 5100
or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
A flue’s main function is to remove the gasses and vapours produced by burning away from the fire or stove and into the atmosphere.
Some of these substances can be highly hazardous to your health so it’s important that they are disposed of correctly.
It could be that your chimney is blocked, but smoke and fumes from a chimney can also be an indicator that there is a more serious problem with your flue.
The flue may be corroded from condensate build up, the wrong size flue may have been installed, the right size could be installed incorrectly or you have had a chimney fire.
We recommend having your chimney swept regularly to prevent blockages but if you are concerned about your flue installation contact us and speak with one of our specialists.
A lack of up-draught or pull can be caused by a number of factors.
Sometimes the flue is partially blocked or the wrong size of recess is being used, and we unfortunately come across many installations where the flue has been incorrectly fitted.
We can’t stress enough how dangerous these improperly fitted flues can be, as they are a serious fire hazard. Sometimes a simple sweep can clear a blockage, but if your flue is incorrectly fitted we can assess and correct it for you.
A cracked or partially missing flue liner in your chimney may well be the cause of your stain, but it is important not to jump to conclusions. We recommend you have the chimney inspected by one of our specialist teams as they can identify whether the problem is being caused through the ingress of rain or through condensation.
It could even be due to a lack of lead work under the chimney stack (also known as the lower lead tray), but if you have any concerns don’t hesitate to contact us. With our experience we can easily diagnose and solve any of these problems.
The simple answer is yes.
Any crack in your chimney will not only effect how the chimney performs and removes toxic gases but it can also allow water to seep in which can cause significant damage.
It can be a symptom of something more sinister developing within the flue liner and can lead to damp, smoke and gas emissions leaking into the room and even a structurally unsound chimney. We would always advise that you contact us to assess the danger.
There are several obvious factors:
Every chimney fire causes damage to the flue, so having a specialist inspection is critical.
The Fire and Rescue Service in Northern Ireland strongly recommend that the chimney is thoroughly inspected and any remedial work needed is carried out before the chimney is used again. It simply isn’t safe to keep using it until it’s been given a check-up, so don’t take the risk.
Free standing stove are increasingly popular in homes today, but we have encountered some that are very poorly installed.
Common faults are locking bands installed upside down, wrong flue sizes installed and even sometimes the flue is installed upside down. All of these technical issues will cause a leak, and if your stove installation is faulty we recommend that you stop using it immediately and get in touch with the Chimcoat team. We fix problems like these every day.
We believe that you need to see the chimney and inspect the situation before we can diagnose the problem.
All of our work is carried out by an experienced team and we know that every job is different. We will perform a detailed survey of your chimney and then provide a quotation for any work which is required.
All our chimney surveys include a core ball test and a British Standard smoke test. We even carry out CCTV camera inspections and bring in a vertical lift when appropriate so you can rest assured that we can show you and help you understand any issues that are uncovered.
Chimcoat cannot fit any flue you have sourced yourself.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our work and the products we use, so we only install our own Dinak flue.
We simply cannot be sure any other products carry the guarantees or quality we demand and with past experience we have learnt that saving money on the initial cost of your flue only leads to more expensive repairs later.
The Fire Brigade in Northern Ireland has seen a sharp rise in stove fires over the last few years and the appliances become more and more popular.
There are a few key indicators that you might have a problem, such as the smell of smoke in your home or the brown discolouration of walls and ceilings around the stove or flue pipe.
If you notice these then give us a call, but you may also need to consider the type of fuel you are burning in your stove. Follow the manufacturers recommended fuels and never burn freshly cut or treated timber in your stove.
Not only do these fuels create increased levels of carbon monoxide that can be released into the room, but they also create particularly toxic condensate that will rapidly corrode and significantly shorten the life span of your flue. Chimcoat proudly works with Emerald Wood, a locally sourced kiln dried wood, which we recommend as a fuel to avoid these issues.
There have been some highly publicised deaths in Northern Ireland through carbon monoxide poisoning, so you are right to be checking that your stove is safe.
You should regularly (every 6 months) have your chimney or stove flue swept to ensure that they are free from blockages or condensate build up. Also check the fuel you are burning is appropriate for the stove (See the Manufacturer’s recommendations for this information) and invest in a carbon monoxide alarm.
If your house was built from 2008 onwards, you most likely require additional ventilation for your stove.
Houses built in this period are designed to be especially air tight and as a result there is less air circulation to allow for the safe operation of a stove. Regardless of the size of the stove, the building regulations advise that you install an additional wall ventilator to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
We supply a range of Rytons vents which you can view in our products section. (link)
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels. This includes heating and cooking appliances fuelled by gas, oil, wood, smokeless fuels and coal that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated. Carbon-based fuels are safe to use.